Four Sport Fantasy Challenge

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/06/2024 11:23 pm  #1

Proposal to Revise Injured List (IL) Rules for Fairness & Competitive

Proposal to Revise Injured List (IL) Rules for Fairness and Competitiveness:

Dear Commissioner and Fellow League Members,

I hope this message finds you well. As we've progressed through the season, I've encountered a significant challenge with the current Injured List (IL) rules, particularly regarding roster management and competitiveness within the league.

Given these challenges, I propose the following revisions to our league rules to ensure fairness and competitiveness for all teams:

1. Increase the number of IL spots available to accommodate for teams with multiple injured players.
2. Clarify the handling of injured players to prevent loopholes that could impact league balance and create unfair advantages for certain teams.
3. Consider implementing a system for temporary roster expansions or exemptions during periods of extensive injuries to prevent teams from being unfairly penalized.

Additionally, I’d like to highlight the impact of having 10 players on the IL, with 9 of them being pitchers, on my ability to compete. This situation not only significantly hampers my team’s performance but also diminishes the overall enjoyment of the league for me as there seems to be no logical way to remain competitive.

It’s like my team’s bullpen has turned into a comedy of errors, and not the kind that gets laughs from the crowd. This predicament not only throws curveballs at my team’s performance but also throws a wet blanket on my league enjoyment. It’s hard to keep the faith when it feels like I’m fielding a team of benchwarmers and castaways.

I believe these changes will not only address the current issues I’m facing but also contribute to a more equitable and enjoyable fantasy baseball experience for all participants. I’m open to further discussion and collaboration on refining these proposals to best serve the interests of our league.

Thank you for your attention to this matter, and I look forward to hearing feedback from the rest of the league.

-Nick

4/07/2024 3:28 pm  #2

Re: Proposal to Revise Injured List (IL) Rules for Fairness & Competitive

You’re the returning champ. No one is feeling your pain 😂. My feedback to your topic

1-with our roster size and minor rosters, I would not mind 4 IL slots.

2-I think it balances out. You play slick games you damage your minors rosters, IMO 🤷🏽‍♂️

3-naw, deal with it homey. Everyone had to deal with it before. It finally happened to you for a change.

CJ add on-this is the only league is fantasy where you can get a kings ransom for a senior citizen closer, while Wacha is still on the wire. This is getting absurd. You guys don’t want to switch. over two generic slots to dedicated SP slots. I suggest this off season seriously recruiting two new GM’s. Overtime it will lessen the closers effect. I’m guessing outfielders will become the new premium for this expanded solution. Myself, I said fuck it. Bit the bullet last season and got my Dick beaters on every handcuff I could. 

I look forward to seeing other responses

I'm like a walking razor
Don't you watch my size
I'm dangerous
Dangerous

4/07/2024 3:43 pm  #3

I’m with CJ on this one. We have 20 spots in our lineups, which leaves 10 bench spots and 3 IL spots.

Sucks that it happened all at once, but when your pitchers are all flamethrowers, a few of them collecting social security, they are bound to throw their arms out. I could be convinced to go up to 4 but wouldn’t go any higher. You sold out for the flag last year and it worked, but now you’re paying the price lol.

To CJ’s point, the lack of value of SP currently, you could stream guys most of the year lol. It’s also your choice to hold onto guys that won’t play this year because they have TJ. That’s a risk you’ve chosen to take to make sure someone else doesn’t pick them up.

4/07/2024 5:29 pm  #4

I have to agree with Clint and CJ here, we have been dealing with this issue for many years.  The injury bug has bit all of us at some point.  It forces you to make choices, some which are not fun.

That said, I would consider a 4th IR slot, but we need to keep in mind that the more players we are allowed to stash in various ways, the thinner a already threadbare waiver wire gets.

4/07/2024 6:17 pm  #5

Hmm I counter all this nonsense and go to 2: let’s all get a freebie Ohtani slot. Injured and free rein spot on your team. When he’s back… also a free rein droppable/repickupable.

While I appreciate the perspectives shared by Clint, CJ, and others, I respectfully disagree with the notion that we should simply accept the status quo regarding our injured list rules. While injuries are an inherent part of the game, I believe it's crucial to continuously assess and adapt our league rules to ensure fairness and enjoyment for all members.

I understand the concern about thinning the waiver wire with additional roster spots, but I believe there are ways to mitigate this while still addressing the challenges posed by injuries. One potential solution could be implementing a system where additional IL slots are only activated under certain conditions, such as a league-wide vote or when a certain percentage of teams are affected by injuries.

Furthermore, my suggestion to introduce a designated “Ohtani injury slot” is intriguing and could add a unique dynamic to our league. However, I believe we should also explore other options to improve roster flexibility and competitiveness.

Ultimately, my goal is to foster a collaborative discussion that leads to constructive changes benefiting the entire league, not your classic status que dooky.

Last edited by Nuixx (4/07/2024 6:25 pm)

4/07/2024 6:51 pm  #6

It wasn’t a problem until it happened to you though🤷🏽‍♂️
As dude said, you sold out, you got the flag. Now either pay the piper, or come up with some more magic. However, I’m cool with increasing the il slots to 4. It’s a dog eat dog world, you get no sympathy here 🤣😂. Maybe others view it differently 🤷🏽‍♂️

Actually I didn’t really give much thought into Otani…with Elridge I might have to investigate this. Wouldn’t it be grand if he becames a closer 😂

I'm like a walking razor
Don't you watch my size
I'm dangerous
Dangerous

4/07/2024 7:51 pm  #7

Been thinking a lot about the points here. Some thoughts.

I’d be ok with adding a 4th IL slot. I’m almost as bad as Nick in that I have 8 guys in the IL. Is that normal?  Nope. I know I picked up and held some guys who would start on the IL. Conscious decisions by me. Does a 4th slot fix things?  Not totally. A little more flexibility sure. The big league teams go through this with having to DFA guys that could help or are out of options. So I see the point of having to make tough choices. But when most if not all of your bench is IL guys it is really difficult. A 4 IL spot would help.

We have to figure out the Ohtani thing. Sorry Clint but it’s like a free spot for you. I know that Yahoo treats him like 2 players. If he truly was 2 players you couldn’t drop him and still retain his rights. So why give you that freedom with the dumb way Yahoo is dealing with this?  Feels like we need to close that down even if it is only for a very few players.

I am not really in favor of a temporary type rule. How do you enforce it?  I think it’s too tough so I would avoid it

And honestly none of this has anything to do with Nick going for it all last year.  I guess maybe because he picked up older guys opening the injury door?  But it could be the same thing for a last place team.

4/07/2024 8:38 pm  #8

For shits and grins, can someone post the Ohtani ruling? I can’t find it?

I'm like a walking razor
Don't you watch my size
I'm dangerous
Dangerous

4/07/2024 8:39 pm  #9

I’d be fine reviewing the Ohtani thing. Now that they changed the DH rules it’s worth reissuing. Prior to MLB changing the rules, it was definitely correct to treat him how we did. He could only be used as a pitcher or hitter. But now that he can stay in as DH after leaving the game as pitcher, I’d be fine discussing it again. I can see both arguments, so wouldn’t fight it either way.

That being said, last year was the first time where they fixed it so his pitcher was on IL even if he wasn’t in real life. Before that, it made no sense to force me to use a spot on the active roster for an injured player.

4/07/2024 8:40 pm  #10

Ohtani ruling is that as long as I keep his hitter or pitcher on my team, I retain the rights to both.

Board footera